The Representation of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Belarus seeks a candidate to work for the project “Quality Initiative in Eastern Europe and South Caucasus” in the capacity of Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Associate
Contract period: from 1 July to 31 December 2017 with possible extension
Type and level of Contract: UNOPS Local Individual Contractor/G6
Terms of reference: The full terms of reference for the position will be provided only to short listed candidates.
Tasks: The incumbent, working under direct supervision of the National Protection Officer in Belarus and the Project Coordinator in the Regional Protection Support Unit, will perform the following duties:
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation process of the procedures related to refugee status determination (hereinafter – RSD) on the level of state asylum authority (hereinafter – the SAA) and the courts to determine the level of application of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees (hereinafter – 1951 Convention) and other relevant instruments. The latter includes, inter alia, systematic assessment of the quality of interviews and interviewing techniques, review of decisions of the SAA and judiciary to identification of existing gaps, development of proposals for their elimination, as well as liaison with the SAA and judiciary to address the gaps and enhance the quality of RSD procedure;
- Facilitate and support the independent and objective evaluation of RSD related methods and procedures performed by the SAA and the courts;
- Assess the training needs of personnel of the SAA, judiciary and the Border Guards in accordance with the scope of their competence within state RSD procedure;
- Provide and facilitate training and sensitization on RSD related issues to personnel of the SAA, judiciary and the Border Guards focusing on various aspects of state RSD procedure;
- Report regularly on the achievements, challenges, carried out events and assist in developing good practices to support national quality assurance mechanisms in order Belarusian state asylum system finally becomes independent from UNHCR assistance, including UNHCR deployed national RSD specialists;
- Liaise with other RSD Specialists in the countries covered by the “Quality Initiative in Eastern Europe and South Caucasus” project;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Secondary school education, university level degree in international law desirable, preferably with a working understanding of relevant EU and national asylum law
- High proficiency of written and oral English language is essential;
- At least 6 years of relevant working experience;
- Previous work experience in the field of refugee protection is a valuable asset;
- IT skills: Microsoft Office, Power Point, Internet.
- Ability to work in a team and in a multi–cultural environment
Learning Opportunities: UNHCR is a continuous learning organisation and all persons working with UNHCR undertake regular training.
In order to apply for the vacancy:
Interested candidates should submit their applications and motivation letters to the UNHCR Representation in Belarus at e–mail address:
Deadline for applications: no later than 15 June 2017
Selection of the candidates will be performed in two stages:
- Written test
Only persons short–listed for written test will be contacted.